[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Using AllRecentChanges as a shared page between fields

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 24 08:12:44 CDT 2005

> > The biggest difference is that $WikiDir is a PageStore while
> > $WorkDir is a directory.  $WikiDir is an object used to store and
> > retrieve pages.
>
> Duh... I guess this goes to show that the names $WikiDir v.s. $WorkDir are
> a bit confusing... (to similar).

Yes, the names are largely there for historicaly compatibility.
Arguably $WikiDir and $WikiLibDirs should be $WikiStore and $WikiLibStores;
but even though they're clearer to someone who understands PmWiki
internals, I think that someone encountering them for the first time
"gets" the idea of "$WikiDir" more quickly.

> Btw, we have $FarmD, where I thought the 'D' stood for directory...
> shouldn't either $FarmD become $FarmDir, or $WorkDir become $WorkD then?

Perhaps.  I didn't like the length of writing out $FarmDir, and
by the time I did the farm implementation $WorkDir was already in use,
and changing it could break too many things.

> > $WorkDir is string identifying a directory that PmWiki can use to
> > read and write temporary files.
>
> ... In addition, I think that using wiki.d/ in this way isn't "clean",
> and speaks for changing the directory structure into something like
>
> 	data.d/
> 	  |-- tmp/	- temporary files and locking flag
> 	  |-- wiki.d/	- only stored wiki pages

The reason I didn't create a separate directory for this is that it
means creating another webserver-writable directory that has to be
protected from browsers somehow, and I felt things were generally
simpler if all of the protected files were kept in one place rather
than multiplying it to two or more.