[pmwiki-users] PITS index

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jul 22 12:35:49 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:34:46AM -0400, Radu wrote:
> Many times I'm looking for something in PITS and have to spend hours
> finding the thing I'm looking for. I was thinking to add a
> human-readable index page, with the PITS issues listed by topic
> rather than by number or popularity. Or if there is a better way to
> use that registry, please let me know. I figured I'd ask first.

I don't have a problem with this -- but it runs into the traditional problem
of (1) identifying appropriate topics, and (2) keeping the index up-to-date.

We already have a "topic" mechanism:  categories.  So, this is really
just a matter of identifying appropriate categories (topics),
associating existing PITS entries with the appropriate categories,
and making it easier for people to do the categorization when new
PITS entries are being entered.

If we come up with a good candidate set of topics, I don't have a problem
with adding checkboxes to the PITS.NewIssue form that makes it easier to
set the value(s) of a "Categories" line at the top of each PITS issue.