[pmwiki-users] user-customisation of edit form

Benjamin Wilson ameen at dausha.net
Wed Jul 20 10:28:11 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I like it.  But how do we help someone recover if they set their
> Site.EditForm preference to a page with a malformed edit form, or
> to a page that doesn't have an edit form at all?
>
> This may actually be a more generic question -- how can PmWiki
> detect when the edit page is malformed and/or provide an option to
> bypass it...?  For the time being I've added an editform= option,
> but it seems like something more 'automatic' is desirable here...

Um, I would say we don't automatically detect because that might be
difficult. But, we can talk the user through it (three ways) . . .

1. We detect when wiki.d/Site.EditForm is in use as opposed to
wikilib.d/Site.EditForm. When the wiki.d version is in use, we include a
link at the bottom that says, "ClobberedEditForm?" This would then
explain the use of action=diff to restore. I don't like this one.

2. Or, when the user goes to edit "Site.EditForm," we include the same
link at the top. Thus, if they screwed up the form and want to edit it
to fix it (and cannot), we refer them to documentation that will help
them. I like this best because the documentation becomes available when
it is most likely to be needed.

2a. Or, you could have a button at the top of Site.EditForm?action=edit
that says "restore to factory default." This button deletes
wiki.d/Site.EditForm the PmWiki-way, thus allowing
wikilib.d/Site.EditForm to take over. If this were used, I would include
the link mentioned in 2.

3. Third, we include the same talk-through in the Documentation pages
that relate to page edits and Site.EditForm. That is least intrusive--I
would hate seeing "ClobberedEditForm" for a working form.

Ben