[pmwiki-users] Re: Status of Posting to PmWiki Using Email

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Jul 14 16:36:44 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:04:36PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>> It will be much easier when PmWiki adds an "insert" or "append"
>>> action for adding text to an existing page (because one doesn't
>>> have to worry about simultaneous edit conflicts).
>>
>> Does that mean that such actions are scheduled for inclusion into
>> PmWiki? Such a feature would definitely have my vote!
>
> Yes, they're scheduled so that I can more easily support comment
> pages in the core distribution. However, I'm not expecting to add
> them until after the 2.0.0 release.

Well, using these isn't a short-term exercise for me anyway :-)

Long ago, I was tinkering with the idea of a distributed wiki - a
network of sites with occasional netsplits. (E.g. multiple wikis, some
of them on DSL-connected LANs or on roadwarrior laptops, all notifying
and updating each other of their respective changes.)

The ability to insert, delete, and replace passages in a wiki page is
one of the essential building blocks for such a recipe. (There are
others, such as the ability to run PmWiki from a script, authentication
between sites, a high-quality diff program, and the ability to use
diff-style identification of passages when inserting/deleting/replacing.
IOW nothing to hold one's breath for *g*)

Regards,
Jo