[pmwiki-users] Re: Div Markup + Wiki Styles for Image Placement

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Jul 9 17:44:35 CDT 2005

On Sunday 10 July 2005 00:33, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > "combined with %align=right% and %align=left%"  -- no?  Would
%align=center%
> > > work, too?
> >
> > It seems not to work for %align=center%, but I only need left and
> > right for what I want to accomplish ...
>
> HTML doesn't define an %align=center% for images (and browsers would
> have difficulty getting text to "flow" around a center-aligned image).
> But %center% works for centering an image if you aren't interested
> in flowing text around it.

Of course - how silly of me.  What I had in mind was just the centering of the
image.  Actually, one user has just centered his uploaded image on our
pmwiki-2.0.beta36, so even the excuse of centering a picture is not valid.

> > ps:  Does anyone have a good reason *not* to make the following line
> > (possibly with pixel values adjusted) part of the distributed
> > pmwiki.css stylesheet?  IMHO doing so would put reasonable default
> > margins around images in PmWiki pages.
> >
> > #wikitext img {margin-left:5px; margin-right:8px;  margin-bottom:1px;
> > margin-top:4px;}
>
> Two potential problems:  (1)  As written above the margins are no
> longer "defaults" but mandatory settings -- there's no simple way
> for an author to change or eliminate the images' margin settings,
> and (2) it's too general, it puts margins on images (especially
> non-floating) where they aren't wanted.  So, if a site is using
> wikismileys, or images to visually tag links to external sites,
> then those images get margins added to them as well.
>
> I suspect the answer is going to be that we predefine %imageleft%
> and %imageright% wikistyles that provide appropriate margins
> and get authors to use those.
>
> Pm

It is great to use software from a team led by a developer who not only does
the hard and demanding coding of the program, but also finds time and energy
to answer in a thoughtful and civil manner all questions.  Thank you,
Patrick; thank you Hagan for bringing this up.

For the time being, I will not jump in and start hacking the local/config.php.
Thanks for the warning - greatly appreciated.
--
Algis Kabaila  http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila