[pmwiki-users] Automated documentation

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Fri Jul 8 06:15:50 CDT 2005

Does the PmWiki site use any form of automated documentation?

I got my first look at output from doxygen on a different php-based
project today and I'm rather impressed.  I am considering using it on
my own computer to wring automated documentation out of PmWiki.  It
would mean that proper documentation would be best in the code itself
(there is a necessary markup in the comments to have it show up --
but for any comments that exist it's nothing a global search/replace
on all the files wouldn't fix up).

Doxygen is an open-source (GPL) application that analyzes program
code and creates automated HTML (or other -- it would be interesting
if it could generate PmWiki pages!) documentation for the program.
It pulls (marked-up) comments out of the code itself for some of the
documentation -- but more importantly it figures out what functions
there are, where they are called from, what classes there are, what
classes they inherit properties from, creates automated diagrams for
said inheritance, etc. and everything is hyperlinked extensively in
the documentation.

link: http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen

A very interesting project.

Crisses
--
This head does not have room for five egos.
   -Chris Knadle