[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.0.beta43 released with (:div:) support

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jul 8 05:40:09 CDT 2005

I've just released 2.0.beta43 which finally adds the long-awaited
support for (:div:) markup.  The (:div:) markup makes it possible
to style and control entire sections of pages, and works similarly
to the advanced table markup.

   (:div id='foo' class='someclass':)
   (:divend:)

In fact, (:div:) is handled by the same routines as advanced tables,
so divs and advanced tables do not nest inside each other.  We
may relax this restriction in the future, but I've decided that's
the safest approach for the time being.

In addition to the basic (:div:) markup, there is a >><< shortcut
for creating divs with wikistyles.  Any wikistyle specification can
be placed between the >> and <<, thus one can write things like:

   >>color=red<<
   This text is red.
   * This list item is red

   >>blue<<
   This text is blue
   * This list item is blue

   >><<
   This text is normal again.

   >>right<<
   All of the items in this div are right-aligned.

   >>center border='2px solid red'<<
   This section is
   center justified inside
   of a solid red box.

Any wikistyle shortcut will work, thus one can do:

   %define=Pm bgcolor=yellow font-style=italic%
   %define=chr bgcolor=green%

   >>Pm<<
   Anything that Pm writes is italic on a yellow background.

   >>chr<<
   Anything that chr writes is regular text on a green background.

   >>Pm<<
   We're back to seeing what Pm writes again....

I've created a page that gives more examples of using (:div:) and
the >><< markup at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Divs .  And I've
only scratched the surface of what can be done here...  :-)

Comments, questions, suggestions, and donations welcomed.