[pmwiki-users] Subst. terminology (Was: variables for customization)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu Jul 7 17:21:36 CDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Ok, then that's settled.  And I think that in general if we just say
> > "variables", we should be referring to PHP variables.  This means we should
> > make an effort to say something else when we are not referring to PHP
> > variables.
>
> In general I've always tried to consistently use the term "variable"
> for PHP variable, "$-substitution" or "substitution" for the
> special $-items in FmtPageName, and "markup" for things like
> {$Group} and {$FullName}.

Ok. Fine by me, which would leave us with this??

* PHP variable - ...
* $-substition - the stuff substituted by FmtPageName()
* ??? - $[...], is that a part of the $-substitions?
* {$Group} - Markup, and if you want to be specific "markup variable"
* ? - did I forget something?

Just a final check. If you add your own {$var} to the markup rules and do
it using GLOBALS[], this will automatically be known by FmtPageName()?

/Christian