[pmwiki-users] Nice edit buttons slowing things down?

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Mon Jan 31 16:12:05 CST 2005

At 2005-01-31  10:57 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
>Am I the only one who has noticed that it takes a second or two longer to
>edit a page because of the graphical icons above the edit form?
>
>If this is verifiable, I'd just like to say that I hope they wont' become
>enabled by default in the standard PmWiki distrubtions. (To be honest,
>they annoy me :-)

I have not seen any delay that I can measure.

The GuiEdit buttons are absolutely mandatory for most of my users. I have
had comments about "going back to WordStar" when I described and tried to
demonstrate how easy the manual markup was. One guy said it looked like
Lotus Notes from 1985, but he was at least willing to try it. Another was
so turned off by the manual markup he just refused to use the wiki completely.

I believe that for new users, the GuiEdit buttons can "sell" the idea of a
wiki where manual markup can kill it. For that reason, I would favor having
a base set of buttons on by default, with the option to turn them all off
or turn more on.

Now, smileys ... those abominations should never be on by default!  ;->

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668