[pmwiki-users] Re: Page drafts recipe released

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Jan 30 22:50:21 CST 2005

Please ignore earlier finger troubled version :(

This is a real reply.

On Friday, 28 January 2005 9:41 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 28 Jul 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageDrafts
>>
>> To use, download and install the script, modify your template, and
>> configure directory permissions so PmWiki can create the
>drafts
>
>> But: if you have modified $PageEditFmt the script may not be able
>> to deliver its full functionality.
>
>Hi John, what's the status of page drafts? Do they work with PmWiki 2 for
>instance?

I haven't yet tested it with PmWiki 2. I was never entirely happy that
the approach used was the best one. It just felt too complex and
unintuitive for what ought to be a simple operation. But I haven't
yet come up with a better solution.

Perhaps using the subpage markup may be a more productive approach.
See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SubpageMarkup

If I have a page that wants to be a draft, maybe I call it
[[SomePage*draft]].

One would want a couple of capabilities:
- make a draft from the current page's contents

- make a draft's contents into an official page

- have a reference to [[SomePage]] produce links to both
  SomePage and its draft

All of which is fairly easy, if the overall approach is suitable.

So I think it would be better to build on a [[*draft]] markup
(meaning a draft version of the CurrentPage), but am open to ideas.

--
JR