[pmwiki-users] pmwiki heavy Load - Provider

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 16:16:21 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:04:31PM +0100, Patrick Ogay wrote:
> Are there statistics about the traffic of  the pmwiki-site?
> I'm wondering how many traffic a "normal" provider can  handle?
> As I remarked the "search" actions took a long time, but now I seems
> quite fast again.
> What was the reason for the old page, to get so slow (more traffic,
> bigger size of site, pmwiki 2.0 produces more load?)

I'm not entirely sure what the traffic is to the wiki pages on
pmwiki.org/pmichaud.com, because there are some non-wiki pages
on those sites that also have heavy traffic (try a Google
"I'm Feeling Lucky" search for "pop tart" :-).

However, the slowness of the pages on my old provider were almost
certainly due to misconfiguration and slowness of the server I was on.
Many times I would check the server load and find it to be unreasonably
high (i.e, over 50, sometimes even as high as 150).  Clearly the server
itself was just plain overloaded.