[pmwiki-users] Reasons for/against Disabling WikiWords

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:34:31 CST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:18:58 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> After playing with this for a few years now, I don't see anything
> wrong with disabling WikiWords and restricting links to the [[...]]
> markup.

One reason that I had not done this before was for fear of
"preventing" AccidentalLinks, because I find them one of the coolest
things about wiki nature.  But recently I realized that
AccidentalLinks aren't accidental.  I still need to remember page
names and use markup to make links, and to plant [[link seeds]] for
the future.  The difference between AccidentalLinks and <a
href="http://www.myisp.com/users/~me/pmwiki.php/Main/AccidentalLinks">accidental
links</a> is how much extra work it took to make each of them. The
work required for [[accidental links]] is no more (and maybe less)
than AccidentalLinks, and both are much, much less than <a
href="http://www.myisp.com/users/~me/pmwiki.php/Main/AccidentalLinks">accidental
links</a>.

Maybe we should make a page on pmwiki.org for new admins with advice
about deciding whether they should use WikiWords or [[free links]].

Bronwyn