[pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Menachem Shapiro menachem.shapiro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:28:31 CST 2005

B"H
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:48:51 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:22:24PM -0800, Menachem Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > I am running a wiki on a Linux server. The URLs are case sensitive so:
> >
> > http://otterprojectonline.info/pmwiki/main --> 404 error
> > http://otterprojectonline.info/pmwiki/MAIN --> wiki page not found error.
> >
> > Is there any way to turn this off and make it that all of the above
> > URLs go to pmwiki/Main ?
>
> Case insensitivity is hard to achieve on OS's that aren't already
> case insensitive.  The only reliable way to do it is to convert filenames
> to lowercase before reading/writing files (i.e., wiki.d/main.homepage
> and local/main.homepage.php).  I've been thinking about providing this
> as an option -- how many people would be interested in such a feature?

That might work. I don't have a problem with the case sensitive urls,
but I can see some of my users really getting crazy about it.

How would convert filenames to lowercase before reading/writing files
work with WikiWords? Would they interfere with one another?

As an alternative, Bronwyn suggested turning on mod_speling, but my
web host is having trouble getting it to work right.

I think it would be more convenient to have something configurable in
the wiki itself as opposed to relying on apache modules.

Could the RewriteEngine script to set up clean URLs be modified to
redirect to the page no matter what the case of the letters? (of
course this may cause problems if someone creates another page with
the same name but different cases)

Menachem

--
Are you interested in using Linux?
Download Libranet 2.8.1 for free and try it out.