[pmwiki-users] Group Password Problem

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Thu Jan 27 22:38:18 CST 2005

At 2005-01-27  12:55 PM -0800, Wade Hudson is rumored to have said:
>Though it worked once, I can no longer set a group password. As a test,
>at
>http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org/
>
>I create a new group, "Test Password,"
>http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org/index.php/PasswordTest/Home
>by adding to the Sidebar:
>[[PasswordTest/Home | Password Test]]
>
>I click on Test Password. In the address bar, I see:
>http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org/index.php/PasswordTest/Home
>I add GroupAttributes?action=attr to the URL in the Address Bar.
>So that it reads:
>http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org/index.php/PasswordTest/HomeGroupAt
>tributes?action=attr
>and hit enter.
>
>The Group Attributes Attributes interface appears.
>I enter "open" in the set new edit password box and click Submit.
>
>I close and reopen my browser, go to Test Password, click Edit Page, and
>enter "open."
>
>It fails.
>
>What am I doing wrong???

Wade

Before you get too knotted up, I would suggest trashing your current test
group (delete all the pages from wiki.d/) and starting over.

Part of your problem may be the inconsistent use of the page names evident
in your posting. Is it PasswordTest or TestPassword? You switch between the
two. Did you really enter "PasswordTest/HomeGroupAttributes?action=attr" ?
That sets the password for a page named HomeGroupAttributes. What you
wanted to enter was "PasswordTest/GroupAttributes?action=attr" to set the
password for the group.

If you use a single word name for the group (one that is hard to reverse)
then typos will be less likely. How about something like "Groupx/HomePage",
"Groupx/GroupAttributes", and so on.

I spent a lot of time driving myself crazy over password admin. Anything
you can do to lessen the chance of finger trouble helps.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668