[pmwiki-users] Re: Example of problem with long code line

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed Jan 26 09:03:37 CST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-26  02:49 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >Another possible solution could be to require preformatted text to be
> >preceeded by for instance at least two whitespaces.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and that phrase shows my
> age...), any markup that relies on "invisible" characters (like a leading
> space) is going to be confusing for new authors. Some kind of visible start
> and end tags would be much less prone to accidental use.

I'm ambivalent here... on one hand I like the convenience of being able to
so easily create preformatted text. OTOH, it can be a nuisance. Anyway, I
think Patrick said something before about how the current behaviour is
more or less wiki-standard, so we're stuck with it.  (We can still
propose an alternative markup and consider this thing to be depreceated).

/Christian