[pmwiki-users] Reasons for/against Disabling WikiWords

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Tue Jan 25 14:36:31 CST 2005

At 2005-01-25  12:06 PM -0800, Wade Hudson is rumored to have said:
>I’m considering disabling WikiWords but I’m concerned that doing so
>might deter experienced wiki users from contributing. Otoh, experienced
>wiki users would know how to use a pipe to display a WikiWord.
>
>One concern of mine is that we will be including the names of many
>websites that use the CamelBack format in the name of their
>organization. Presently, in those instances, I must use [=
>prevent forming an undesired link.

I can't see any compelling reason to use CamelCase WikiWord links unless
you are catering to a group of authors who have used them a lot and would
expect them to work.

If you enable the GUIedit buttons, markup becomes a trivial task. The
external link button is particularly nice in that it gives a full example
of the required syntax if you click it when only an insertion point is
selected.

The venerable Wikipedia abandoned CamelCase within their first year of
operation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CamelCase_and_Wikipedia

Having read their article, I am seriously considering disabling it on my
Wikis. It will be a lot easier to explain to my authors who are all newbies
- barely able to find an edit button, it seems.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668