[Pmwiki-users] OFF TOPIC question about Eudora

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Sun Jan 23 18:44:21 CST 2005

I think I must conclude ... none of the below!

At 2005-01-24  01:15 AM +0100, Sven Opitz is rumored to have said:
>Hi,
>
>>Question 2: Does anybody have any idea what this "Emacs!" means?? I have
>>searched the Eudora knowledge base to no avail.
>
>That depends.
>1. It could mean the Emacs editor
>http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html . Anyone in the Linux/Unix
>World knows this great tool (although I prefer vim, but that is another
>story and shall be told another time)

Why would a Eudora email client put the text "Emacs!" in the location where
I pasted an inline graphic.

>2. If you write HTML-Email (AHHHHH!) it could be the title or the alt tag
>of the picture.

I have HTML email turned off, but Eudora seems to do "half-HTML" anyway.
Why would they insert that as an alt tag? I certainly did not.

>3. Could it be the picture was called emacs!.jpg?

No. This occurs for jpegs and gifs that have quite different names.

>4. I don't know, how Eudora handles this, but maybe you said create an
>ascii email, and the word emacs was taken from your clipboard (where you
>stored it before), while the picture was simply ignored.

I would never put that word on my clipboard. And I am certain that someone
hasn't been sneaking in and putting on my clipboard before I send an email
with an image. Every time????

>5. PM is correct and it was stored in the comment field of the jpg.

But that doesn't explain it on gifs ....

>Bye
>Sven

Thanks for the thought, Sven, but it is still a mystery. Googling for
answers is impossible because you get swamped by responses about the eMacs
editor and Google seems to ignore the trailing exclamation mark.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668