[pmwiki-users] pmichaud.com, pmwiki.org moved to new hosting service

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jan 23 17:10:31 CST 2005

More notes about my webhosting provider(s), for those who are curious...

Prior to this weekend pmichaud.com and pmwiki.org were hosted by
venturesonline.com/data393.com (Data393 merged with Ventures Online
in the middle of 2004).  Ventures Online was really good -- excellent
response time to service requests and everything "just worked".  But as
most of you who follow this listserv know, over the past couple of
months we've been having trouble with mail delivery and server
performance has been getting steadily worse.  After a couple of
weeks of frustrating support calls, Data393 suggested switching
me to another server (but couldn't guarantee that this would resolve
the issues) or that I upgrade to one of their virtual private server
plans, which would've cost an immediate $180 in migration charges
and doubled my monthly charges to boot.

So, I spent some time looking around for other providers and finally
chose apollohosting.com.  They appear to have been around for several
years, and had VPS plans with the features I was looking for.  However,
only time tells the true tale, so we'll see how it works out.

Many of you wrote to me last week with excellent suggestions for
other providers (and even some offers to host pmwiki.org), and
I really appreciate all of the support.

If anyone wants more details about the server setup, I'll happily
provide them.  :-)