[Pmwiki-users] Re: Idea for extension of special list syntax

chr@home.se chr
Sat Jan 22 09:40:04 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-21  01:58 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > > An other "feasible" new feature I'd like to have is to let ordered list
> > > markup handle an optional numeric argument giving the current item's list
> > > value, so the following markup:
>
> I feel an attack of creeping featuritis coming on. Where did I put the
> ointment?

*lol*

> Would it be possible to solve all of these weird and wonderful list nesting
> and numbering problems by adding markup which performs almost exactly like
> an unordered list but allows arbitrary items as the hanging indent?
>
> For example, if + was my indicator for this type of list:

I like the idea! We could use a general mechanism to indicate that
something should be inserted in a deeper level (i.e. that it is more
nested).  If '->' had been available I would have suggested that...
however, how about this alternative:

	* First item in level one
	** Subitem
	(:nested:) [=
	This markup will be nested after the subitem.
	=]
	* Second item in level one

I don't think this will be used so often, so being a bit verbose is a good
thing. Here's a suggestion for a shorter version:

	* First item in level one
	** Subitem
	=> This markup will be nested after the subitem.
	* Second item in level one

Note that I haven't specified what level the object should be nested
within. The reason is that I wonder if maybe we don't have to? Maybe most
of the time you just want to nest under the previous item? If not, then
maybe you should have done something like this instead:

	* First item in level one
	** Subitem
	(:nest:) [=
	* Subsubitem
	=]
	(:nest:) Paragraph on level two

Hmm... the above isn't exactly obvious... I imagine it'd render like this:

	* First item in level one
	  * Subitem
	    * Subsubitem
	  Paragraph on level two

Oh well, I've lost track here - maybe I should do something else now :-)

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr