[Pmwiki-users] customizing password entry/error messages

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Jan 18 14:20:29 CST 2005

Is there a way to control the message emitted above the password request
box for things like Edit or Upload?

For example, on my Wiki I have Uploads password protected by a password
known only to me (and maybe several very clever hackers).

On the Guest/Uploads page I have a publicly revealed password which allows
human guest to upload, but prevents less-than-Turing-machine-quality robots
from uploading spam.

If someone clicks on the Upload link on a non-Guest page, I would like the
password request to indicate to them where they can upload. Having a
clickable link would be a bonus, but is not essential.

I was getting around this by recoding the skins so that the upload links
actually pointed to the Upload page and did not invoke an Upload action.
But every time I changed the skin, I lost that function.

I like the idea of being able to customize the message because it seems
much more flexible. I would probably like to do this in either a farm or
field config file or both.

It would also be helpful to have a "Cancel" button on the password entry
page which would then display an error page of my choosing - something like
the "ErrorDocument" customization possible in Apache. In fact, that
capability might supercede the customizable entry message.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668