[Pmwiki-users] BeginnersQuestion

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Jan 11 20:23:11 CST 2005

At 2005-01-12  02:27 PM +1300, Robin is rumored to have said:
>On Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:55, Jan Broekhuizen wrote:
> > When images are uploaded from the outside-world they get the reference
> > macjan.hopto.org/etc. and when they are uploaded from my homecomputers
> > they get the reference 10.0.0.151/etc.
>On your home computer, create a file: /etc/hosts (Linux) or c:\windows\hosts
>(Windows - may have moved in newer versions, I can't remember) and put in it:
>10.0.0.151 macjan.hopto.org
>
>Now you can use the same address to access the webserver regardless of
>whether
>you are on the LAN or the internet.

Two notes on using a "HOSTS" file:
1) You need a HOSTS file on each LAN-side-machine that you use to access
the wiki.
2) To use the HOSTS file, you need to use the fully qualified name (not the
IP address) to access the wiki.

If you have a recent production model router, it should be able to do
"loopback" addressing. This means you do *not* need HOSTS files - you
simply use the fully qualified domain name of the server from any machine.

The router needs to have virtual server or port mapping enabled so that
requests for port 80 get routed to the wiki server. You should be using a
fixed IP address (*not* using DHCP) on the server machine.

Some older routers that could not do loopback when shipped have flash
upgrades available to enable this feature.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668