[Pmwiki-users] Page caching

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 5 16:12:47 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:52:12PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >Simpy, it shows page from cache if there is one. If there is no
> >cached page it runs normal HandleBrowse construct, but PrintFmt uses
> >a file_put_contents to make a cached copy.
> Your approach is free of all these problems.
> If it's just six lines, that's even better ;-))

Alas, it's a pretty naive implementation.  It doesn't recognize
or handle:
   - changes to GroupHeader/GroupFooter
   - changes in content retrieved via (:include:)
   - changes in link rendering due to new pages being created
     (or existing pages being deleted)
   - read permissions on pages
   - read permissions on included pages
   - search results
   - page listings via (:pagelist:)
   - changes in WikiTrails
   - skin changes via ?skin= or ?setskin=

However, as in Pawel's original post, I've been exploring ways to
provide better caching in PmWiki because the server hosting
pmwiki.org seems to be having performance problems lately (largely
unrelated to PmWiki).  So, maybe this is an indication that I should
bump up the priority on getting a real caching implementation in
place...?

I don't recall if there's a PITS entry for this or not (ironically,
the webserver for pmwiki.org just went down as I'm writing this so I
can't look it up) -- so maybe we should find/create a PITS entry and
vote on caching's importance.