[pmwiki-users] Wishes: PDF Export

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Feb 28 16:06:29 CST 2005

On Tuesday, 1 March 2005 6:02 AM, Ciaran <ciaranj at gmail.com> wrote:
>I've got a system that publishes to pdf/word/rtf etc, it works very
>nicely but its quite specific to our wiki so isn't suitable for
>general use, but it is quite possible to do (Basically I just run the
>pmwiki generated html through w3ctidy then process it as a DOM, nice
>and simple, works a treat )
>
>-Ciaran
>

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:55:39 +0100, Nils Knappmeier <nk at knappi.org> wrote:
>>
>> >John Rankin has already designed and built a PmWiki-to-PDF translation
>> >system, I'll let him chime in with more details about the status of this
>> >project.

The version that runs off PmWiki 1 takes the html output and coverts it to
PDF via LaTeX. This works with any valid web page collection, not just
wiki output. This has been running without problems for about 18 months.

The intent with PmWiki 2 is to convert the wiki markup to a
print-oriented xml dtd, then convert this to LaTeX.

The advantage of using an intermediate xml format is that we can
potentially transform this to other formats as well. And we can
validate the xml before we convert it to LaTeX, which makes
it easier to trap and report any errors.

This is currently at the proof of concept stage so is not
available for release just yet, but it's not far off. Currently,
it can handle the TextFormattingRules page, but it's as rough
as a cat's tongue.

More information is at:
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Pdf2you.HomePage

I wasn't aware of Nils' work, which looks similar in concept.

--
JR