[pmwiki-users] creating pages

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:33:26 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:08:30 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:53:16PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> > I too would like a Markdown equivalent (see
> > http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/) that I could use to turn
> > plain text files into (X)HTML at a moment's notice.  It'd be even
> > better if I could customize it with recipes and config.php, and/or
> > tell it to get its config from an existing wiki or wikifarm.
>
> I've already indicated that I'm willing to implement Markdown markups
> (PITS 00178), but I can't necessarily do the entire Markdown set without
> also destroying some of PmWiki's existing markups.  If someone will give
> me a reasonable subset of Markdown to implement, I'll do it.

Ah, I haven't explained myself properly.  I'm not asking to emulate
Markdown's markup for use in PmWiki, though that would be cool too.  I
was looking for the other side of the coin: if you have a Perl install
on your machine, you can use the Markdown script locally to turn any
Markdown-formatted textfile into an XHTML file.  I'd like to be able
to do that, but with PmWiki markup.  Especially if I can tell it to
use the custom markup that's configured in an existing wiki or
wikifarm.

I am interested in the markup emulation capabilities too, for two reasons:

1. My attempts to create bold and italic markups that I like have all
failed horribly.  They play mean with bulleted lists, and I don't grok
regexps well enough to fix it.  I have this vague hope that copying
and hacking an emulation will be easier, but I'm probably wrong about
that.

I thought that **bold** and //italic// would work in combination with
* list
** list
because of the beginning-of-line+one-or-more-spaces requirement, but I
couldn't get it to work.  I might also mess up when bold and italic
are mixed, but the page was so broken from the bullet problem that I
couldn't tell.

2. I want to pick *one* structured text format to use wherever
possible, so that my fingers can develop muscle memory, instead of
having to think about and memorize the markup.

Bronwyn