[pmwiki-users] setting permissions after a server crash

John Coxon john at coxontool.com
Thu Feb 17 06:34:53 CST 2005

My host, once again has suffered a crash. This time his hard drive died
and he was unable to rescue a copy of my site.

He set up a new drive for me to upload my backup to (lucky me I have a
recent one!). After upload all files and folders are set:

						perms		owner	group
wiki/	    	    				drwxr-xr-x	myacct	myacct
	wiki.php				-rw-r--r--		myacct	myacct
	wiki.d/				drwxr-xr-x	myacct	myacct
		Main.HomePage	-rw-r--r--		myacct	myacct

After the earlier crash he changed all files and folders to group =
apache. This worked but I have no idea if it was good practice. Should
I have him do this for me again or is there a better solution? My host
is most gracious and accopmodating but I can envision the day when I
might change hosts and have to upload my site to a new server and it
would be great not to have to rely on host personnel.

John