[pmwiki-users] Disjointed Display

Hans design at flutesong.net
Fri Feb 11 18:12:49 CST 2005

Friday, February 11, 2005, 11:16:36 PM, Wade wrote:
> When we try Hans' suggestion (with a minor variation), it looks great in
> firefox, but in IE it puts a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the
> screen and the right-side window stretches off out of sight, at any
> resolution.

yes you are right, sorry for not checking it out thoroughly.
you may try this:

#left{
        float:left;
        width:24%;
}
#right{ position:absolute;
        top:12px;
        left:25%;
        }
* html #right{ /* IE hack */
        width:76%;
}

This seems to work in Firefox and IE6.

But if you got a long non-wrapping text line, for instance if you got
typewriter font by leaving a space at the beginning of a line, then
the window will stretch right off-screen. The same scenario with
#right {float:right} will drop the whole right side underneath the
left in IE. So I think the above is still a better way. But I had to
give the right a width value for IE, I adjusted the IE hack so IE6 can
see it.

Best,
~Hans