[pmwiki-users] XHTML compliance

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Feb 7 14:59:15 CST 2005

On Tuesday, 8 February 2005 6:37 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

>> How do I make pmWiki turn a ' into &#39; ?
>
>Believe me -- you probably don't want to do that.  :-)
>
>Pm

However, if what you want is automatic smart quotes, use the
MarkupExtensions recipe from
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupExtensions

This will smarten things like "This isn't a good idea" into
the correct left and right single and double quote marks.

It's not perfect. Rock 'n' Roll gets the first apostrophe wrong
(as do most word processors). For these cases, Rock `'n' Roll
will fix it. This problem doesn't seem to occur much in practice.
--
JR