[pmwiki-users] Re: Unclear which 'restore'-link to press when restoring a page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 14:37:30 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:22:04PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > > So far I'm in favor of "Restore page without about changes".
> >
> > It doesn't really restore the page, though, does it?  It actually
> > drops you into the editor, and then you can save it (possibly
> > with new changes).  So how about
> >
> > "Edit page without above changes"
>
> Sounds good. Would "Edit page source without above changes" be more or
> less clear? (the normal author would perhaps not care about the 'source'
> bit...)

I'm not in favor of having the "restore" capability be called "edit",
because that's not the operation an author/editor is looking for.
Typically they're looking for some term such as "undo", "recover",
or "restore" that explicitly indicates they're going back to a previous
version of the page.  The fact that it drops them into an editor first
is *not* the important point of the operation (nor have I heard of any
authors who were greatly confused by this).

If it's *really* important to have more explanation, I prefer to keep
the term 'restore' and then setting $EditMessageFmt to explain what's
happening after they've clicked the link.  But I'd only want to do that
if the fact of hitting the "Restore" link is confusing.  (Remember, the
original point of this thread was not that people couldn't understand
the purpose of the "Restore" button, but only that there was
uncertainty about what text was being restored.)