[pmwiki-users] XHTML compliance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 11:37:11 CST 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:15:58PM +0000, David Jackson wrote:
> I'm sure this is easily fixable, but I'm having one of those empty-head
> days..
>
> If you look at
> http://glossopian.co.uk/pmwiki.php?n=Main.BackupEnterpriseManagerSettings
> and click on the validate XHTML 1.0
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer> link at the bottom of the
> screen, you'll see that the apostrophe in the text (|in the word
> "don't") ||c|auses the validation to fail.

The problem is that the apostrophe isn't really an apostrophe.  The
validator gives the correct error message when it says:

    Line 82, column 81: non SGML character number 146
    ...L registration information so you don??t have to
    enter/re-enter it by hand (q

The character that you think is an apostrophe is somehow entered as
codepoint #146.  (Perhaps it was cut-n-pasted from a wordprocessor or
other document that has a non-standard character set?)  Edit the page
to replace the offending character with a "real" apostrophe and all
should be well.

> How do I make pmWiki turn a ' into &#39; ?

Believe me -- you probably don't want to do that.  :-)