[pmwiki-users] Re: draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Fri Feb 4 16:57:51 CST 2005

At 2005-02-04  04:23 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>In looking at adding a commenting capability, it occurred to me that
>however comments were implemented could be similarly used for drafts,
>and that if I could so quickly come up with two "subpage" like things
>we might want a good way to support more.  But it's still in the
>brainstorming stage at the moment.

Regardless of the syntax or markup or actual file structure used to support
comments or drafts, there needs to be a very simple way to explain their
function to new authors.

If there is a commenting mechanism, are the comments dispersed within the
page close to the point they are discussing? Do they all collect at the
bottom of the page, oldest first? Or do they live on a separate comments
page that is somehow linked to the original page. Note that I am asking
about the author's browser view of the pages, not the file system storage
of them.

If there is a draft mechanism, just what does a draft imply? A page under
construction that does not exist yet? A new version of a page destined to
replace an existing one? Should a draft be special in any way? For example,
should a draft be restricted to a single author and only open for editing
once it has graduated from draft status? If I understand the intent of
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook-V1/PageDrafts , the latter
interpretation is intended.

My confusion over drafts and comments deepens when I try to shoehorn them
both into a "subpages" concept. I think of sub pages as totally separate
child pages with a common parent, which doesn't mesh very well with
concepts of comments that are part of the parent page or with drafts which
are really orphans until they are removed from the draft limbo.

Am I (once again) the only one confused by this? Have I missed the page on
PmWiki.org that explains it all?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/