[pmwiki-users] creating docs with screenshots

Knut Alboldt pmwiki at alboldt.de
Fri Feb 4 16:48:24 CST 2005

well, I start to use pmwiki to create docs with screenshots. While the
text is entered easily I find the way I've to enter the screenshots
rather complicated:

(in windows):

1. edit new / existing wiki-page
2. entering text
3. copying a screenshot with the "PRINT"-key to clipboard
4. saving clipboard in a grafic viewer (irfanview) via cut & paste
5. save it to a temporary file
6. uploading it in a (second pmwiki-session) with upload-function
7. putting attach:-markup in the text

ok, second start:
3.+4.+5. can be combined with certain screenshot programs (I think with
irfanview / xnview as well)

but then I thought about another possibility:
- having a java-applet which will be started with 1. (by clicking a
link) which has a filename-input-filed and a copy-button which:

a. increases the filename (e.g. specified by image####.jpg, ### will be
a generated number)

b. copies the screenshot from clipboard

c. uploads the grafic into the filename specified by the input-field in
the background using a wiki-call

d. copies "[[Attach:filename]]" to clipboard

if the applet will stay running during the whole documentation-session
you can reduce the scenario to

1. edit new / existing wiki page incl starting the java-applet
2. entering text
3. copying a screenshot with the "PRINT"-key to clipboard
4. press the copy-button
5. paste clipboard (now: the text defined by d.) into the wiki-text

so my question (to java gurus - if there are is any out there ... ? :-):
would that be possible to write (the last intruduced java-applet
(pmwikidraw) is running really fine !) ?

Knut