[pmwiki-users] draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 18:12:04 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:42:27PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:

> >> Eh... please no, I can imagine doing:
> >> 	rm Main.HomePage;draft
> >> and accidentally removing Main.HomePage...
> >
> >Oh, yeah.  I can almost see doing that too.
> >Okay, scratch semicolon for now.
> >
> I *still* don't like hyphen :(
>
> What about a colon : even though it's used for intermap references?

If we went with colon, I'd expect it to really be used as a prefix
instead of a suffix in this case, for some sort of consistency with
InterMap references.  Thus:

   Draft:Group.PageName
   Talk:Group.PageName

There's precedent for this in v1 where we used ThisGroup:, ThisPage:,
ThisWiki: and it didn't seem to cause too much confusion.  It's also
somewhat consistent with MediaWiki.

> Clutching at straws, is a comma , allowed?

Comma's still available.  It's not currently allowed in pagenames,
although it's used in the filesystem to identify deleted versions of
a page.

> Did I mention that I don't like hyphen; because it can have 2
> meanings in the same page name and what if one (perish the
> thought) wants to allow subsubpages?

I'm not sure that we have to attach meaning to the hyphen itself,
just to the hyphen+phrase that follows.  Thus:

    PageName
    PageName-Draft
    PmWiki-V1-Notes
    PmWiki-V1-Notes-Draft
    PmWiki-V1-Notes-Discuss
    PmWiki-V1-Notes-Draft-Discuss

seems like it could work to me for anyone who's that sadistic.
In this sense it'd all be largely defined by site convention
as opposed to having to have hard-coded support (similar to the
way that categories are more convention than code).

Your opposition to hyphen is noted.  If it ends up being something
that requires a lot of code support, I probably won't use hyphen;
if it's something that can be implemented and makes good sense with
PmWiki's existing page structures, then I may stick with hyphen
just so that scripts don't have to understand/parse a lot of extra
syntax just to get things to work.