[pmwiki-users] Request for ideas -- edit page improvements

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 11:13:15 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:00:37AM -0900, Chris Lott wrote:
> > > A capability for uploading multiple attachments at once would be
> > > incredibly cool.
> >
> > Unfortunately, current browsers don't have any sort of support for this.
> > It's likely not even possible as a Java applet due to the security
> > implications involved.
>
> flickr allows one to select up to six photos and upload them all at
> once with an HTML form. Not sure about the implementation details,
> though.

Oh, sorry about that.  It *would* be possible for us to have multiple
"upload" boxes in the upload form, where the author just fills in each
box with a file to be uploaded (or leaves it blank).  We could also
add a field/option such that an author could indicate "I have 4 things to
upload" and PmWiki provides four blanks for uploading files.

Lastly, PmWiki could analyze the page text and present a separate
upload box for each "Attach:" link that appears on the page.

Authors would still run into more problems with hitting upload size
limits, and PmWiki would be very limited in terms of the sorts of diagnostics
it could provide (simply because PmWiki doesn't get enough information
about what went wrong to be more helpful).  I.e., if someone attempted to
upload five files that combined were larger than PHP's max_upload_size or
Apache's LimitPostSize, all PmWiki would be able to say is "No files
uploaded" without indicating why.