[pmwiki-users] Idea: Opera-like address field on the wiki page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 16:38:40 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:24:45PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-02-02  11:00 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >Does this make sense? Is it too advanced for normal users?
>
> Somewhat and yes.
> [...]
> I would strongly advise against changing the way search works on PmWiki.

More to the point, such things can be easily done in cookbook recipes
and don't have to be built-in to PmWiki.  Indeed, the entire search
code is just a pluggable script.

The searchbox in the PmWiki skin is just a <form> that posts to
'Main/SearchWiki' with the q= parameter set to the search text.
There's absolutely nothing that prevents an admin or skin designer
from changing the <form> to add an 'action=' parameter that then
figures out what to do with the text entered in the box (i.e., redirect
to a search page, etc.)

Most people expect the default to be a search, so requiring a special
character to indicate "search" is probably wrong.  It's probably okay
to introduce a heuristic that if the text entered is a link to an
existing page, then simply jump to that page instead of performing the
search.  However, I'd still leave this as a cookbook recipe and not
defaulted into PmWiki itself.