[pmwiki-users] Tooltips

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 21 15:31:38 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:07:06PM +0100, bram wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 06:57:00PM +0100, bram wrote:
> >>
> >>I was wondering about using these as tooltips in wikilinks. Not as alt
> >>or title tags but using javascript.
> >>

> >It can be done in the next release, but it's not available yet.
> >Also, we haven't completely decided what the excerpts tag should
> >contain -- see my post at
> >http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-December/021147.html .
>
> I did  a quick try using a wrapper arond LinkPage:
>
> http://test.brambring.nl/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StartPagina
>
> Hover over the Kaasfondue and ZoekmachineAanmelden links ( with
> javascript on)
>
> I have to play with the Pm code a bit more, now the action links have
> the wrong tooltips.
>
> But I think the result is quite fun

In the next release of PmWiki, one will be able to get at the
excerpt and description values by using {$excerpt} and {$description}
page variables.  It's not clear to me yet if {$excerpt} will also
strip the HTML -- I'm still working out the details for that.

But the more I think about it, the more I think that PmWiki may choose
to store a "plaintext" attribute that contains the rendered text w/o
any HTML in it.  Then we could have an {$Excerpt} or {$Description}
page variable that programmatically strips out just the first
paragraph or so from the plaintext, or uses the description if it's
available for a page.