[pmwiki-users] Live Bookmarks on Firefox . . .

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:03:34 CST 2005

On 12/19/05, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> added a wee bit of markup to my PmWiki template (below). In Firefox, it
> gives the viewer the ability to add a "live bookmark" onto their bookmark
> bar.
>
> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="$WikiTitle RSS"
> href="$ScriptUrl/Main/AllRecentChanges?action=rss">

It also offers various rss readers the ability to "autodiscover" your
feeds. That way, the user doesn't need to know the exact url to the
feed. All they need to do is point their reader to the site URL
(example.com), the reader will download the page, look for the links
and offer the user a list of available feeds.

A few days ago, I remember someone suggesting that we have a way to
enable rss in the config file. Something like $EnableRSS = 1;. I think
Patrick offered another similar suggestions. In each case, the idea
was that it would turn on/off $action=rss. In my mind, if something
like this is done, upon enabling, it should also add the links to the
head for autodiscovery as well. I would think the following would make
the most sense to add by default:

$SiteGroup.AllRecentChanges?action=rss   <== Title: "Track changes to
this site."
$Group.RecentChanges?action=rss      <== Title: "Track changes to the
$Group group."
$Group.$Page?action=rss               <== Title: "Track changes to
this page: $FullName."*

As long as the titles in the links match the feeds, the choices should
be clear enough for the user to figure out which feed they want to
subscribe to.

* I'm assuming it's possable to offer a feed for a single page.  I
haven't actually tried it myself.

PS: In FF, if more than one feed is offered, upon clicking the icon, a
little box appears listing all available feeds by title. The user just
selects the feed they want and things continue as normal.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com