[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Fick, Martin fick at fgm.com
Thu Dec 15 23:36:30 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: pmwiki-users-bounces at pmichaud.com on behalf of Patrick R. Michaud
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:00:13PM -0500, DaveG wrote:
> > Thinking about it, does the creation of properties obviate the use of
> > Categories? ie, we can achieve all, and more, Category funcationality
> > with properties.
>
> I've been thinking about that.  Properties alone doesn't do it,
> though, unless we have a way to build indexes for them.  The
> nice thing about the current Category implementation is that the
> linkindex speeds things up substantially.

  Uhmm, that's not actually always true.  I have done
some benchmarks in the past and this is what I think
I have noticed:

  It is true if your the number of pages in your
pagelist set before filtering on categories is a
large percentage of the number of page's on your site.

  On the other hand, if you have say, a small group,
with only about 10 pages in it, and you have specified
group=smallgroup in your pagelist command, and your
site has about 1000 files in it, it will actually be
slower with the current indexing system.  The reason I
suppose is because searching the index file (of 1000
entries) for the links of your 10 pages can actually
take longer than simply searching the 10 files in
smallgroup.

  -Martin  (who was never quite happy with the current
indexing system.) :(