[pmwiki-users] Re: On Backups

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed Dec 14 13:18:52 CST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Ben Wilson wrote:

> I read the digest, so this is the fastest way for me to comment--start a
> new thread.

I think that's a good way :-)

> Since I have access to the server via ssh and have cron capability, I
> have a shell script that tars my wiki.d and whatever other critical
> directories I may need (including my pmwiki-farm, which holds all my
> wikifarm related stuff outside the web path).

I do something similar, although the whole think is first rsnapshot:ed
before it's tar:ed together.

> Since I have access to more than one server, each one pulls over the
> other's tarball so if any one server fails, I can get back in operation
> in short order.

Same here... encryption of the archive followed by it being copied to a
different machine. A bit of brute force really since it's essentially a
complete backup each time.

> That is:
>
> One Cron to tar them all, One Cron to find them,
> One Cron to pull them all and in the darkness archive them
> In the Land of PmWiki where the Shadows lie.
>
> (Apologies to Mr. Tolkien)
>
> Regards,
> Ben

*LOL*