[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog, a blog for PmWiki

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Sun Dec 11 16:08:54 CST 2005

Han Baas wrote:
> "Ryan R. Varick" <rvarick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wish I'd known about PmCalendar when I started this.  KOB is a
>> descendent of Wiki Calendar, which I think itself descends from
>> another recipe.  So I'm three links removed from PmWiki.
>
> IMHO the calendar is a very poor way of archiving. What is needed  here
> are three things:

I'm not a very active blogger (I admit).  For me, the idea of
a blog is a diary... but obviously it is not even close.  A diary
is a set of date pages, in which case a calendar is more than
adequate.

If you look at the http://theendlessnow.com/ten/Main/BookReviews
page you'll see date pages viewed in an inverse date sorted
way with a table of contents.  Granted, the table of contents
nests down... but that could be changed in the toc recipe or
by altering the markups used on the date pages.

> 1. a chronological list of posts (chronological on the date-posted,  NOT
> on date-last-edited). If the post/page-titles are descriptive  (the date
> in whatever format, will not do as a title), the relevant  post can
> easily been found. Look at  http://daringfireball.net/ archives/ for a
> good example of this type of archive.

I do not see any difference between this and PmCalendar's caltype=text.
I can add an option to do paras=1 on the included text.  And I think
that would do it.  It would be very, very similar.

> 2. the use of categories (and PmWiki has a good implementation of
> categories). The listing of post per category can either be
> alphabetical or (preferably) chronological. It would be nice if in  the
> category listing the number of posts per category could be  displayed.
>
> 3. a search function (again: PmWiki has a good one)
>
> So what really is needed here, to transform PmWiki into a good  blogging
> tool, is the ability to list pages chronological (the  original posting
> date) And a good commenting system, but that is an  other story.

A calendar lists pages chronologically (ascending or descending).  This
is why I believe I could use it as a blogging solution.  Apparently what
I am using isn't considered to be a blog though (I'm guessing).

I've used Google's blogger... I thought it was pretty silly.  Maybe
I've just never used a good blogging tool.

Confused?