[pmwiki-users] Suggested default template changes for 2.1

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 7 18:03:07 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 04:18:15PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 12/7/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 07:04:13AM +1300, Simon wrote:
> > >    1) Include the pmwiki.css file after the page specific styles
> > >    ie in the template
> > >    <!--HeaderText-->
> > >    <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/pmwiki.css' type='text/css' />
> > >    instead of
> > >    <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/pmwiki.css' type='text/css' />
> > >    <!--HeaderText-->
> > >    This will allow the pmwiki.css styles to override the styles included in
> > >    the page.
> >
> > But this also makes it much harder for an admin to override the styles
> > in pmwiki.css.  Beyond that, I can't imagine any situation where we would
> > want the pmwiki.css styles to override the styles included in the page.
>
> The Light Skin uses
>
>   <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/light.css' type='text/css' />
>   <!--HeaderText-->
>   <link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/light2.css' type='text/css' />
>
> I don't recall exactly why it was important to have both, but here's
> light2.css, which provides some hints.

With the above, an admin can override the light.css settings but
cannot override settings in light2.css (which is overriding the
PmWiki defaults in <!--HeaderText-->).

The original post is suggesting (I think) that pmwiki.css should
somehow override an admin's settings, which doesn't make a whole lot
of sense to me since pmwiki.css isn't intended to be modified
(and there are better ways for an admin to override the
<!--HeaderText--> settings).