[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Problem with AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 7 11:11:29 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:39:48AM -0500, Dan Weber wrote:
> I installed a copy of 2.1beta11 to try this out but I am having some
> problems.
>
> I included the following in my local/config.php:
> $AuthUser['admin'] = crypt('adminpassword');
> include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");
>
> When I bring up the Site.AuthUser page it says that the script is enabled
> but I don't see where I can add a user or see what users are already
> defined.

Because authuser works with multiple (and potentially independent) sources
of usernames and passwords, it's not really possible to always be
able to provide a complete list of defined users.  So, from Site.AuthUsers
you can see the users defined in the page but that's about it.  If a site
chooses to define its users in multiple locations there's probably not
going to be a good central place to see them all.

To add a user, simply add a username and encrypted password to
the Site.AuthUser.  Use ?action=crypt to get an encrypted form of
a password, and then add the entry to Site.AuthUser:

    admin: $1$UDumP.Mf$h7fZxr0XJBgdMw3M402Q7.

> And the following instructions are not clear to me either. Am I adding this
> to the config.php file? If I would like to use the htpasswd file approach,
> can I define a relative directory to the pmwiki installation, with $FarmD or
> something similar?

Yes, you can use a relative directory, although there aren't any
variable substitutions (such as $FarmD) available.  So, to use a
.htpasswd file that is in the same directory as pmwiki.php, write:

    htpasswd: .htpasswd

To use a .htpasswd file in some other location, write:

    htpasswd: ../../other/location/.htpasswd