[pmwiki-users] Subversion & existing installation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 10:20:46 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:49:13AM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
>    Q: I have an existing installation and I want to move over to using SVN.
>    What's the best way of getting that going?
>
>    What would happen if I just did a checkout on top of the existing
>    installation?  Would that work, or would it be confused, or would svn even
>    let me do that?

I just tried it, and apparently svn won't let you checkout on top of
an existing installation.  :-(

However, it appears you can do almost the same steps as for a normal
upgrade.  Here's what I just tried on my system ... but please be
sure to have a backup copy of your site somewhere, first!

First, checkout an svn copy of pmwiki into a directory called "latest/":

    $ svn checkout svn://pmwiki.org/pmwiki/tags/latest

Next, recursively copy this directory and its permissions over the
existing pmwiki installation (note the '.'):

    $ cp -rp latest/. pmwiki

That should do it!  You can then change into the pmwiki directory and
issue "svn info" to make sure everything is up to date, and your site
should still be running (albeit with the latest version).  The
"svn update" command will bring your installation up to the latest
release.

After you're comfortable that things are working in svn, you can remove
the "latest/" subdirectory listed above, and you can also remove the
the various CVS-related files and directories from the pmwiki/ directory.
On my system, the things that would be removed from pmwiki/ are:

       tests/
       CVS/
       .cvsignore
       cookbook/CVS/
       pub/CVS/
       pub/skins/pmwiki/CVS/
       pub/skins/print/CVS/
       pub/guiedit/CVS/
       scripts/CVS/
       local/CVS/
       local/.cvsignore
       wikilib.d/CVS/

Hope this helps, and *please* be sure to make a backup first, and
if you try it, let us know how it works out!