[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 25 12:55:46 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:22:42AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> I'm not sure I got my point across clearly though.  "Have title-as-h1
> only if there's no h1 markup in the wiki page" means the following:
>
> On 8/14/05, you wrote:
> > I've been thinking that the <div class="pagetitle"> that exists
> > now in PmWiki's skin ought to just change to <h1 class="pagetitle">.
> > Opinions?
>
> My opinion is if there's an H1 in the wiki page, then use <div
> class="pagetitle">, but if there isn't then use <h1
> class="pagetitle">.  Either way, it would look the same in the
> browser.  Either way it would have an H1 for SEO.  This is better than
>
> * Title always H1, which was you asked for feedback about.
> * Title never H1, which is what we have now.
>
> Now do you understand why I'm asking if you can detect, in skin.php,
> whether there's H1 markup in the page?

Yes, I do.  I think we disagree about the potential dangers of
having multiple <h1>'s in a page.

I think it makes perfect sense for the page's title to be in an
<h1> at the beginning of a page; and while W3C may recommend that
pages have just one <h1>, there's certainly nothing really wrong with
having more than one as long as the <h2>'s are properly nested.
Even the tools that process pages looking for outlines shouldn't
have trouble dealing with multiple <h1>'s in a page.

Having the title automagically convert to a <div> if there's an <h1>
later in the page is just "a little too much magic" for my tastes.
But a skin author could certainly do it.  The most likely approach
is to write a Markup rule that looks for <h1> in the output
and sets a flag that changes the tag used to generate the page title.