[pmwiki-users] processing wikistyles

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Aug 16 23:41:43 CDT 2005

On Monday, 15 August 2005 4:25 PM, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:

Thinking about this some more, I realise that I ought to have been
more constructive. Here goes.

Would it be useful to create different markups for:
- wikitags -- content semantics
- wikistyles -- content presentation

The purpose of wikitags is to make wikimarkup extensible by
defining new inline and block tags. For example
(there are probably better markups -- this is an illustration):

(:inline booktitle:)  with optional presentation attributes

(:block poem:) with optional presentation attributes

define the 'booktitle' and 'poem' tags. In html, these would
map to <span> and <div> respectively, with optional attributes.
In other xml output, they may map to something else.

And it may be appropriate to change the %define% syntax
(currently %define=name style=value ...%) to:

(:style hot color=red:)

To use the new tags:

Reading <:booktitle:Titus Groan:> can be %hot%unnnerving%%.

<:poem:
When Tom and Elizabeth took the farm \\
The bracken made their bed \\
and ''Quardle ardle oodle ardle wardle doodle'' \\
The magpies said
:>

The benefit of this approach is that those who prefer to
think in tags can use wikitags, while those who prefer to
think in styles can use wikistyles. And they can be mixed

    <:poem:%block blue%

would apply the style 'blue' to the block 'poem'.

Thoughts? Comments?
--
JR