[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:27:19 CDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> To disable the ! markup, but leave !!, !!!, etc.:
>
>     Markup('^!', 'block',
>       '/^(!{2,6})\\s?(.*)$/e',
>       "'<:block><h'.strlen('$1').PSS('>$2</h').strlen('$1').'>'");

Thank you.

> > Would it be possible to have a configuration option to make ! generate
> > different markup if the $Name is "SideBar"?
>
> As a local customization, yes.  In the core, no -- there's no requirement
> that the sidebars be named "SideBar"

That seems like a small impediment.  Maybe it would be
array('SideBar", 1) instead of just 1 then.

> and I really don't want to do
> program a lot of sidebar-specific monkey-business into the core.

That's a matter of perspective. Some would say that using XHTML
headings, especially H1 headings, for site navigation is *already*
sidebar monkey business in the core.

IOW, it would be working around previously-established monkey business
with additional monkey business!  :-)

> > Come to think of it, paragraphs should be the default and there should
> > be a $SidebarHeadingsAreNotParagraphs setting.  :-)
>
> Sorry, you lost me on this one.

I was suggesting that ! generates paragraphs (or some other block
markup) in the sidebar by default, and there would be an option to
revert to the current behavior.  Maybe $SidebarHeadingsAreNotSpecial
would have been clearer.

> > Oh... I object to using "head" or "heading" since the whole idea is to
> > cause it *not* to be a heading!
>
> No, I thought the whole idea was that it would not be a *document*
> heading (c.f. Crisses' earlier message).  The thing in the sidebar
> really is still a "heading", it just isn't a document heading and
> it doesn't generate <h1>.  Or do you have a better name than "heading"
> for those section-divider-looking-things that sit in the sidebar?

In the Light Skin I hastily came up with "divider".   There must be
something better though.

(brainstorming...)

In the Light and Lean skins I have special CSS properties for <strong>
in the sidebar.  I'll experiment with something like

    #sidebar strong { display:block; }

Maybe that's not so good.  Maybe some other less-used markup, like

    #sidebar sup { display:block }

Perhaps better yet, we could use some existing block markup that
wouldn't be useful in a sidebar, like outdent or some such.

    [=Foo=]

has the property of looking like the output, and avoids coming up with
a wikistyle name altogether.  So does [@Foo@] to a lesser extent.

Hagan