simple tables... WAS Re: [pmwiki-users] bug in [@ @]?

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Sat Aug 13 14:13:14 CDT 2005

At 12:54 AM 8/13/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:19:45AM -0400, Radu wrote:
> > If you look at
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BasicEditing#inline
> > , in the second example, 'styling' is a link, but its markup was not
> > made visible by [@ @].
>
>If you're asking about the "What to type" column, the 'styling'
>doesn't have the link markup around it, so it's not appearing.

Ah, yes. So why did you give up the markup directive in favor of this
weird thing with advanced tables? Advanced tables strike me as very
combersome tu use, there's no way to figure out any sort of
horizontal relationship.

(which is why I was pushing for adding rowspan to simple tables and
simplifying colspan :)

This is what I implemented on my wiki,

||border=1
||r=2! S\\
i\\
d\\
e!|||| Title !||
|| one || two ||
|| three || four ||

...but I would add a c=2 instead of repeated pipes.

The next phase I'm planning is to use local 'variables' to declare
the content of cells, then use them to declare the table layout, as such:

||{style declarations}
||a1 Some title
||b2 More text
||b3 other text
||c=2 !a1! ||
||b2 || b3||

The need comes from one of my projects that requires some rather
complex tables (as a way to succintly map some examples for
multidimensional linguistic variables to the 2D that a (printed) page affords)

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)