[pmwiki-users] PmWiki.BasicEditing

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Fri Aug 12 15:55:06 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I've started a revision of the basic editing page, at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BasicEditing .  The top
> part of the page introduces the editing process and very
> basic markups, while the bottom part of the page is a table
> that demonstrates other basic markups.
>
> The idea is that someone reading this page can quickly get
> an idea of the commonly used markups, and be able to come
> back to it as a reference and demonstration of those markups.
> We'll also link to this page from the EditQuickReference.
>
> We may want to rename the page to be "Editing Basics" or even
> simply "Editing Pages" instead of "Basic Editing".
>
> I could definitely use some help fleshing out the table in the
> bottom part -- just decide what sorts of markups belong here, and
> follow the markup style I've already started in the previous
> part of the table.
>
> Some of the table entries probably need "see also"
> links that point to pages with greater detail on the topic.
>
> Contributions to this page are especially welcome.

If it's helpful, I put up a copy of the document
we use here on our pmwiki site (it's an internal
sw development site).

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Cjc-Doc

We used the (:markup:) directive, but I noticed
it is broken at pmwiki.org (no separator between
the markup and the displayed markup).

Also, note.. we have many cookbooks and some
custom stuff on our wiki.

If it helps... great.. otherwise, feel free
to delete it!

IMHO, if I were going to use the table technique,
I'd try using (:include:)'s to fill in the cell
data... might even be able to share the same include
for both the "what to type" and "what it looks like"
area.  Just an idea.

Could certainly use the (:include:) style for
each item (a table for both the looks like and
what to type on a separate page).  Then you
could use those evil self referential links
to allow folks to get to the actual content and
edit (possibly include the action=edit?).  Allows for
easy reuse in other places where an appropriate example
is needed (does require some forethought).