[pmwiki-users] Idea - place TOC in sidebar? (Was: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Aug 12 02:28:05 CDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > On the other hand, show me a web usability expert who believes that
> > site navigation isn't an important component for nearly every page on
> > a site.  :-) :-)  ...

In paper format, the closest thing to a sidebar that I can think of are
the table of contents, lists of figures and list of tables that you
usually find in the beginning.

Has anyone tried putting a table of contents in the sidebar? This might be
a useful way to navigate the current page. It'd also be familiar to how
you can get a TOC in the sidebar of AcroRead.

A note on the side (pun intended). Would it be possible to fix the
position of the TOC vertically in the sidebar, in such a way that when you
scroll down the page you can still always see the TOC? This might be
useful for very large pages (or it's a case of featuritis).

/Christian