[pmwiki-users] Re: Supporting different modes

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 23:23:26 CDT 2005

On 8/9/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> At 12:57 AM 8/9/2005, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> >I think we're better off with the skin templates for now, if only
> >because you can nest divs or tables, and it's easier to specify
> >substitute wikipages to slot in.  I'll be playing with it sometime
> >later. (read: maybe a week or three, on a guess)
>
> The downside of this (as opposed to the page editing a la
> Site.EditForm) would be that the maintainer doesn't 'eat his own
> marmalade' (or whatever product :) and will be stuck editing
> templates for the slightest change.

Well, that depends on how the templates are done. I've been
experimenting with putting skin furniture stuff in wikipages, and
letting the template use the first available wikipage in the list,
like

<!--wiki: $Group.ActionList $SiteGroup.ActionList Site.ActionList-->

A setup where most of the stuff that the admin actually might want to
change lives in wikipages, but the framework holding them together is
in the template will probably work pretty well.  Also, no matter how
views are implemented, one could avoid eating one's marmalade.

> Gemini... Then admins or even advanced authors would be able to
> customize their working environment. Say
>
> Profiles.Radu-PageTopMenu

That'd be nifty, though it would need integration with the
Site.Preferences features as well as with the skin.

Bronwyn