making changes to the docs (was: Re: [pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Aug 9 14:54:04 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-09  03:34 PM -0400, Radu is rumored to have said:
>>I do wonder if some of the enthusiasm and energy would be more helpful to
>>the PmWiki cause if it was directed to more mundane things, such as
>>cleaning up the current docs.
>
>As I said before, I tried a few times, but I don't think I'm
>knowledgeable/authoritative enough to make the changes I feel are needed :(

I know exactly how you feel when I stare at lines of CSS or PHP on a page
that I would like to edit. I fear messing up something that is "correct" if
unreadable.

Perhaps we could make use of categories here. If I make changes to a page
but am not sure if my contribution is correct, then I should add a category
marker of [[!DocsToBeChecked]]. Once someone who is braver or more
knowledgeable than me has checked and corrected it, they could remove the
category marker.

Even if someone makes a good attempt at editing a doc page and their
description is completely wrong, that action performs a very valuable
service. It shows how the original page was too ambiguous, complex, or
obscure for the features to be understood. It may be all that is needed for
the original author to realize "Oh! That's why everyone keeps asking that
question."

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/